Thursday, December 4, 2008

KayKay is following in my footsteps.

So as you can all tell from some of my earlier posts it's quite painfully obvious that I always felt like I lived in my brother's shadow. I still to this day feel that way.

Monday night the school's 4th graders did a small musical about Science. KK had several duets and a out in front dancing part. LL who is also in the 4th grade had a part where he had to go across the stage while dribbling a basketball.

As always my parents were in attendance. We left immediately after the fourth graders were done because Chandler was needing his medicine and to go to bed. My parents decided to watch the sixth graders.

On the way home we told both kids how good they did and how proud we were. My mom even called and talked to K for a few minutes. Next thing I know K is upset and crying. I called her in and tried to find out what was bothering her and she just kept saying that Grandma doesn't love her anymore.

I have learned that the real problem was simply that my mother told K to please make sure she told LL that he did a good job.

How can I reassure her that she is good and doesn't need to feel like it's a competition? I don't want her to have the same resentment that I did.

2 comments:

Jennelle said...

Although my sister is younger than I am, I feel the same way about her. She had a mysterious illness until she was four and finally diagnosed with aplastic anemia. She had to go through all sorts of treatments, including a form of chemo, and no one knew if she would live. She is absolutely spoiled rotten, and the fact that I was valedictorian and finished college in three years meant next to nothing to my parents. It was so hard to watch everything I worked so hard for be ignored. I think it's super important to treat each child the same way, but if one needs extra encouragement, by all means give it to her!

Shannon said...

I just wish there was some magic thing to say to her to make her feel good.

It makes me so sad for her.